Compare Insurance Quotes
American Reliable Insurance Company was formerly owned by Assurant, but it was sold in October 2014 to Global Indemnity Group, a company that sells specialty products and reinsurance. Global Indemnity, as its name suggests, is a multinational company. The sale was made to its American branch, but the company’s primary headquarters is in Dublin, Ireland.
Despite the sale, most ARIC policyholders should see no major differences in the way policies are handled. The company will continue brokering its policies through independent agencies, and it will continue selling insurance for farms and ranches and specialty property coverage.
Nonstandard Property Insurance
American Reliable sells property insurance and some specialty vehicle coverages, particularly for motorcycles and RVs. Its focus is on nonstandard property, especially farms and ranches.
- Homeowners Insurance: Offering protection for the home itself as well as its contents. You have the option of choosing between various coverage options to suit your needs. Be sure to review the covered perils as some types of losses may be excluded in your state unless you specifically buy coverage for them.
- Dwelling: This is a more bare-bones type of policy that protects the structure of your home but does not necessarily cover all of your personal belongings or provide as thorough of protection as homeowners insurance.
- Manufactured Home: Similar to homeowners insurance, this protects mobile, manufactured and pre-fabricated homes. These policies differ from regular homeowners insurance because manufactured homes present a higher risk due to their lightweight construction. Since they are not as sturdy as a regular house, they generally sustain more damage in the same type of loss. You may be able to obtain a discount on your policy if your home sits on a concrete slab foundation, so be sure to ask when purchasing the policy.
- Watercraft: This policy protects boats of all kinds, including sail boats and power boats. It also insures the boat’s trailer and offers some liability for water sports. Watercraft insurance will usually insure a boat whether it’s being used or kept in storage, but you’ll want to check your policy carefully to see whether there are exclusions against certain types of usage. It is also important to know if your auto policy or watercraft policy covers the vessel when it is under tow by your vehicle.
- Motorcycle: ARIC offers insurance for motorcycles and ATVs. You can choose liability-only policies or add additional protection for collision and other types of damage. Optional coverage, like trip interruption and accessory protection, can be added for an additional fee.
- Farm and Ranch: Agricultural insurance is one of the key specialties of Reliable. Several farm packages are available depending on the size and type of farm you own. Depending on what you buy, these policies can cover your home, farm buildings such as barns and silos, farm vehicles and machinery, and some types of liability.
- Flood: Most flood insurance sold in the U.S. is underwritten by the National Flood Insurance Program, and the flood policies from ARIC are no different. When you add flood insurance to your Reliable Insurance homeowners policy, the protection will be provided by the NFIP. This means that you’ll pay premiums to your insurer, but any claims will be handled through the NFIP.
Since ARIC sells policies in multiple states, coverages vary from one location to the next. It’s important to confirm with your agent exactly what will be available in your area, especially since certain perils are excluded on some policies. For example, earthquake coverage, nuclear hazards and business use are all excluded coverages on homeowners policies in at least some policy areas. Some discounts may also be excluded in some areas.
Although the company was sold in October 2014, the American Reliable website was still hosted by Assurant for a time. The company now has their own website that gives the reader a good idea about the products offered.
The website does not offer a quote request form or a clear method for locating an agent. There is also no indication of general pricing available anywhere online. The general customer service line is 480.483.8666 or 800-535-1333. Calling that will enable you to find a local agency through which you can buy a policy.
There is a “Claims” tab located on the menu bar of the website. This takes you to a contact page, with the address, phone and fax number of the claims department.
To file a claim, speak to your agent or call 800-245-1505. The number is available 24/7.
American Reliable Insurance Company is not accredited with the Better Business Bureau, but has an A+ rating on the site. There are just eight complaints in the past year, four of those closed in the last 12 months. Other consumer report sites tell a different story.
There is not a lot in the way of reviews or complaints available for this company. There are only two reviews listed on Yelp, both of which are negative with regards to claims handling. ARIC has little in the way of web presence, with no established Facebook page or even a LinkedIn account. It is likely that the company leaves it up to the agents to act as the face of the company. The quality of your agent will probably have a great effect on your overall opinion of this company.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
American Reliable focuses on non-standard insurance products, and people looking for very specific coverage types may want to check them out. Those who have a standard insurance portfolio will probably be better suited somewhere else.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.