Compare Insurance Quotes
Mutual Benefit Group Summary
Not to be confused with the defunct Mutual Benefit Life Insurance Company, a New Jersey company that was dissolved in 2001, Mutual Benefit Group (MBG) is a property and casualty insurance company that started in 1908 to serve families in southern Pennsylvania. MBG sells policies exclusively through independent agents in an effort to suit each customers specific needs.
By remaining focused on a region, MGB has built a reputation for customer centered policies that can be highly customized.
Personal and commercial: PA, MD.
Standard packages for auto liability, property damage and uninsured motorist can be customized with enhancements such as substitute vehicle or temporary transportation expenses, emergency travel expense, accidental air bag deployment, loan/lease, repair or replacement cost, towing and locksmith services, rental reimbursement, and additional towing and labor expenses. In addition to this, MBG also offers good discounts for multi-vehicle and homeowner bundles, safe driving, safety features, and longevity.
Mutual Benefit Group offers three tiers of homeowners coverages,
- Standard Program – Includes basic coverage such as loss of use of your home, damage or loss, and personal liability.
- Preferred Program – Allows policy holder to increase the limits of home or possessions to be repaired or replaced.
- Promark Program – A policy that allows you to combine normal “add-ons” such as damage from water and sewer, increased liability, higher limits, and more, into one policy.
The company prides itself on tailoring specific insurance needs based on the individual, therefore contacting an agent would be the best idea to discuss further.
Under this title, MBG offers three package policies, as well as optional separate coverage:
- Business Owner Specialty — Focused on “main street” businesses, such as offices, service, retail, and wholesale.
- Contractor’s Specialty — Focused on small to medium contractors doing residential and light commercial work.
- Commercial Package Policy — Available for larger or more complex businesses. MBG’s Commercial Property Max allows additional endorsements and broadens coverage.
Other commercial products include:
- Business Auto Insurance
- Workers’ Compensation
- Commercial Property
- Commercial Inland Marine
- Commercial Crime
- General Liability
- Garage Coverage (including garage keepers physical damage and owned vehicles)
- Commercial Umbrella.
Mutual Benefit is sold through a network of 250 independent agents. MBG offers an online agent search and a “quick contact” number at 800-283-3531.
As a mutual insurance company, pricing is generally competitive within the market area, and rates will fluctuate based on a variety of factors. MBG has a good record of being competitive with larger companies for customers who are preferred risks.
Claims cannot be filed online, however the site does direct you where to call if you do have an incident, or what to do immediately after a loss. Claims can be made directly to your agent or by calling 800-290-6361. Claims can also be faxed to 800-794-4255.
Mutual Benefit Group is not accredited, however does have an A+ rating by the Better Business Bureau with only five complaints in the last three years, two of which were in the last 12 months.
Results are similar from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) Center. Based on a national median complaint ratio of 1.00, Mutual Benefit Insurance received the following scores from the NAIC (National Association of Insurance Commissioners) Center 2016:
- Private passenger auto insurance: 0.52 (two complaints).
- Homeowner insurance: 0.51 (one complaint).
- Commercial auto: 0.00 (zero complaints).
- Commercial liability: 0.00 (zero complaints).
- Commercial property: 4.30 (two complaints).
There is not a lot available in terms of reviews and complaints for this company. Most would say this is a good thing, however it is most likely do to the size of MBG and the area of coverage it provides for.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
If you live in the relatively limited market area Mutual Benefit Insurance Company serves, it is worth asking your independent agent for a quote. They have competitive rates, and in many cases can offer protection for both your home and cars. Business owners in the coverage area can also benefit from their numerous coverage options and comparable rates.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.