Compare Insurance Quotes
Norfolk & Dedham Group Summary
The Norfolk & Dedham Group, known officially as the Norfolk & Dedham Mutual Fire Insurance Company, is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States, beginning in 1825. The group is now an amalgamation of three companies, Norfolk & Dedham Mutual Fire Insurance Company, Fitchburg Mutual Insurance Company, and Dorchester Mutual Insurance Company. All three begun in the early Nineteenth Century and focus on personal lines insurance in the Northeastern states.
AR, CT, ME, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VA
- Car Insurance—Standard coverages can be extended, and a handful of “add-ons” and discounts available.
- Home Insurance—Standard protections can be extended with a PersonalPakTM endorsement. Discounts for being loss free, and for passing a HomeSafe appraisal.
- Dwelling Fire—Available independently of other policies. Dwelling fire offers coverage for rental properties and seasonal properties that may be rented occasionally.
- Inland Marine—Available as a stand-alone to cover valuable personal items such as fine art, furs, instruments, and more. Although basic homeowner insurance policies will cover personal items, most have a limit that would fall quite short for more valuable items.
- Umbrella—A standard umbrella layered over auto or homeowner coverage with up to $5 million coverage.
- Commercial Auto—Commercial coverages are primarily for sales and office, artisan contractors, and delivery operations.
- Business Owners Package—Norfolk & Dedham have an extended business owners package that includes digital risk and director/officer coverage. It also offers a commercial package policy adaptable to apartments, associations, law offices and funeral homes as well as many traditional businesses such as restaurants and service companies.
- Farm—A farm coverage specifically for poultry growers is available only in Arkansas.
- Employment Practices—An EPL policy is becoming increasingly important for owners who employ others. Norfolk & Dedham offer free legal advice helpline with experienced attorneys for customers.
- Workers Compensation—Available in Massachusetts and New Jersey.
- Umbrella—A commercial umbrella policy up to $5 million with discounts if purchased with a business owners policy or commercial package policy.
There are brief descriptions of what the products contain on the website. In order to obtain further information the site directs you to find an agent nearest you.
|Quote Test Results|
|Rate Test Details|
Norfolk & Dedham is a mutual company, and as such, its rates vary yearly based on claims paid out and profitability. The company has a good reputation for managing to limit increases, however.
The company does not offer online quotes, but local agents can be found using their online form.
All claims can be filed 24 hours a day at 800-688-1825. Norfolk & Dedham maintains a fleet of automated claims vans to handle both auto and property claims on location quickly. For both auto and property, the appraisers operating the vans are authorized to provide a settlement check on the spot.
Norfolk & Dedham has an A rating by the Better Business Bureau and only 5 reviews, 4 of which are complaints with their product/service.
Google has a total of 9 reviews, most mention a positive and professional experience. There is not a lot to be found in terms of reviews or complaints for Norfolk & Dedham. Because the majority of reviews that we find are in fact complaints, it can be good to recognize the fact that there are some positive reviews for this company and, as a whole, very few negative ones.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
Norfolk & Dedham is a customer-focused company with a long record of financial stability and performance. It will not be the lowest cost provider of insurance, but if reliability, service, and assurance that claims will be honored are important, it is a company that should be considered if you live in the Northeastern states.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.