Compare Insurance Quotes
Philadelphia Insurance Companies grew out of the Maguire Insurance Agency formed in 1962 which began providing specialized insurance to automobile dealers. It began operation as Philadelphia Insurance Companies in 1987, went public in 1993, and merged with the Tokia Marine Group in 2008. The history is chronicled in Just Show Up EVERY DAY by founder James J. Maguire.
In reviewing Philadelphia insurance Companies we found by 2008 the company was offering coverage in more than 80 niche business markets and had built an especially strong reputation for its coverages to unique sectors such as non-profit social service agencies and health and fitness clubs.
Insurance Products & Industries Covered
- Commercial Auto: A variety of products are offered including insurance for garage-keepers, fuel dealers, dealerships including motorcycles, rental fleets, antique autos and restoration companies.
- Non-Profit and Human Services: Adult and child day care centers; community centers; group homes; home health care; home medical equipment dealers; homeless/battered shelters; hospices; mental health organizations; youth services. If the organization is non-profit, chances are that Philadelphia will provide a way to insure it.
- Outdoors: Archery ranges; bed & breakfasts; camps, dude and guest ranches; guides and outfitters, including tours; hunting preserves and leases; resorts and lodges, gun clubs and shooting ranges; snowmobile and whitewater rafting tours; and more.
- Public Services: Libraries; medical facilities and hospitals; museums; municipalities; religious organizations; private, academic, charter and vocational schools; water and sewer plants; pest control services; zoos; and more.
- Entertainment/Recreation: Amusement parks, bowling centers; golf & country clubs; paintball operations; special events; fairs and fairgrounds; and more.
- Sports: Amateur sports, camps, and leagues; gymnastics; motorsports; professional sports; and special sport or recreation events, such as marathons. Coverage is also available for most types of training centers including martial arts and YMCAs/YWCAs.
- Habitation and Construction: Affordable housing; apartments; HOAs and PUDs; low income housing; builders risk; commercial real estate property schedules; and more.
Basically, if you need insurance to cover a risk that is specialized, Philadelphia is one of the first companies to look at.
|Quote Test Results|
|Rate Test Details|
One of the reasons Philadelphia has established such strong reputation is the competitiveness of their rates in specialized insurance.
Often expensive “excess & surplus” coverage is the only coverage available for insureds such as a martial arts studio, where the risk for injury and consequent liability are huge. With its strong financial backing and expansive customer base, Philadelphia has generally been able to provide rates for unique risks at rates a customer might find in the standard business market.
Philadelphia has an excellent online claim page, under “Claim Center”.
Claims can also be initiated with a phone call to 800-765-9749 Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 8:00 p.m. EST. Philadelphia Insurance Companies also provides the most important of the industry-standard ACORD forms used for claims as downloadable PDF files. Completed forms can be faxed to 900-685-9238.
Philadelphia Insurance Companies is rated A+ by the Better Business Bureau with a total of 12 complaints in the last three years, five of those closed in the last 12 months. Nine of the complaints involved product/service issues; three concerned billing/collection issues.
Results from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners Center are reported under Philadelphia Indemnity Insurance Company, the underwriting subsidiary of the Philadelphia Insurance Companies. Based on a national median complaint ratio of 1.00, Philadelphia received the following scores the Center in 2016: Commercial auto—0.40 (nine complaints); commercial liability—0.22 (ten complaints); commercial property—0.25 (seven complaints). Based on the amount of premiums written, these scores show a high level of customer satisfaction.
|Rating Company||Grade||Financial Outlook|
If you have a unique insurance risk to cover, Philadelphia Insurance Companies is a good place to get a quote. Their financial backing is sound; their track record for handling and settling claims is superb for the specialty industry.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.