We Recommend Travelex
Seven Corners Summary
Seven Corners was founded in 1993 and has grown quickly to offer a solid company with a list of products to meet specialized needs. A privately owned company, Seven Corners has its headquarters in Carmel, Indiana and underwrites and supports all of its own policies.
Seven Corners has a worldwide network of doctors and hospitals and a 24-hour assistance line to help customers anywhere in the world. Their products include basic travel coverage such as trip interruption/cancellation coverage, travel medical insurance and annual insurance as well as products for immigrants, medical tourism, short-term and supplemental health insurance, and even pet insurance. This wide range of products takes the company beyond the basic travel insurance market.
Seven Corners sells products through its website as well as through a network of independent agents and brokers.
Travel insurance is Seven Corners flagship product, and they write an incredible array of packages and coverage options to meet the needs of different types of travelers. Their policies are designed both for U.S. citizens abroad and for both visitors and immigrants entering the U.S. Seven Corners offers these travel insurance options:
- Round Trip – Seven Corners has four levels of protection available for their Round Trip travel insurance packages. These packages, available in basic, Economy, Choice, and Elite, cover mainly trip cost risks including cancellation and interruption, baggage loss and delay, and basic medical costs and evacuation. The comparison chart found on the company’s website makes it easy to see what each level offers.
- Liaison – These policies are medical coverage packages that provide for accidents and illnesses abroad, with a minimum amount of trip interruption coverage also included in some policies. The Liaison plans are varied and include Liaison Majestic, International, Continent and the Liaison Student plan.
- Inbound – This group of policies is designed for visitors and immigrants to the U.S. and covers medical expenses. Inbound Guest and Inbound Choice are the two choices for temporary visitors to the U.S., while Inbound Immigrant is for those preparing to settle in a new home and offers coverage for up to 5 years.
- Reside – These package policies are for people who spend a great deal of time abroad and need a comprehensive medical plan to cover a range of risks, from accidents to maternity.
- Wander Frequent Traveler – This policy is designed for people who travel frequently throughout the year and need an annual policy to cover all trips rather than buying a new policy each time. They include medical and common trip coverage as well.
- Bordercross Worldwide – This specialty policy is for medical tourism and provides a variety of coverage to protect against the risks of seeking medical treatment in other countries.
- Group Programs – Seven Corners helps groups traveling together to obtain protection for medical costs, trip cancellation and interruption, and more.
Products: Other Insurance
In addition to travel insurance, Seven Corners writes several other policies designed to protect right at home.
- Short-Term Health – This type of policy is a basic, affordable option that can fill in gaps in health insurance and cover specific types of medical needs.
- Supplemental Health – This policy is offered to provide extra coverage as needed for medical costs that might not be covered by another health insurance policy.
- Pet Insurance – Pet owners can choose this type of policy to provide benefits for veterinary care and other costs associated with the medical needs of pets.
Seven Corners provides online quoting as well as over-the-phone options to price out their plans. There are no sample prices for their travel insurance plans available on the website to quickly determine how competitive they are with other travel insurance companies.
The wide range of product offerings makes it likely that there will be an option for nearly any budget, and unlike some other insurance companies there is not a long list of possible add-ons and options to drive up the overall price. The website states that the Liaison International is their best value for travel health insurance, while the Round Trip and Round Trip Elite are top values in trip coverage. Whether or not these are actually the best values will depend on a number of factors.
Because travel insurance coverage varies so much in terms of what comes in a particular package, it’s difficult to make an apples to apples comparison on rates.
Seven Corners provides 24/7 assistance to customers anywhere in the world through a toll-free number. Claims forms are available online as well as detailed instructions on how to process your claim and some basic frequent questions regarding the process.
Because Seven Corners handles claims in-house, they should be able to process quickly, and questions and concerned handled directly. Claims must be filed within 90 days and processing times will vary depending on the type of claim. There is not a lot of information available on the claims process, and as the next section shows, some concern regarding reviews of the company’s claims handling.
Seven Corners has been BBB accredited since 1999, and currently has an A+ rating based on multiple factors. Overall, there are a low number of complaints filed with the BBB, only 46 in the past 3 years, 23 of which were closed in the past 12 months. Those numbers are low for a company of this size with so many products.
Negative reviews on the Internet point to difficulty communicating with the company and claims that were not processed or remained unpaid. There are enough of these reviews to be a concern, although they are similar in nature to negative reviews against other travel insurance companies. Whether or not a claim should have been paid is a complicated question and difficult to ascertain from reviews, but the frequent complaints of being unable to reach the company or a slow response to processing claims does raise some red flags.
Seven Corners offers a strong range of products arranged in simple categories with increasing levels of coverage. Since they don’t have a long list of add-ons, customers can generally count on pricing to not be inflated by options. They have been in business long enough to be stable and, in spite of a lot of negative review online, have a good reputation with the BBB, which is reassuring. Their many products make them a one-stop shop for a variety of specialty insurance needs, and they provide easy access to quotes and customer service.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.