We Recommend Travelex
Travel Guard Summary
Travel Guard is a homegrown American business started in founder John M Noel’s basement in 1985. The company grew and expanded to offer products in Canada in 2000, and now also operates in the U.K. and Ireland as well. In 2006, the company was acquired by AIG. The company headquarters is located in Steven’s Point, WI, and they also have offices and assistance centers in Houston, Toronto, The U.K., and in Malaysia.
Travel Guard writes a variety of travel insurance policies from all-inclusive, comprehensive travel plans to individualized and very specific coverage. Their long list of product offerings varies by state and by country, and not all products can be purchased in every location. Products range from family and business travel policies to specific coverage for golf or ski trips, and coverage is available for trip interruption, medical coverage, emergency evacuation, cancellation, and more.
Travel Guard’s products are widely varied and there is enough selection available for any traveler to find what they need. There are both package plans and individual coverage choices so that you can put together your own package or grab them al a carte.
Travel Guard’s vacation packages come in several levels, each with an increasing level of coverage and higher premium to match:
- Basic – This plan provides simple coverage for trip interruption or cancellation, baggage loss or delay, accident or illness medical coverage and medical evacuation.
- Savvy Traveler – This is sold as Travel Guard’s most affordable plan, and covers basic needs for trip interruption or cancellation, delays, baggage loss, and medical needs or evacuation.
- Silver – This package plan includes coverage for pre-existing conditions in addition to all of the basics of the other plans. Children under 17 are covered free with paid adult coverage, and limits are higher than the basic or savvy policies.
- Gold – An upgrade from the silver package, this plan includes all of the coverage in the silver plan with higher limits. Also included are accidental death and dismemberment coverage and increased trip interruption coverage.
- Platinum – The highest level of coverage available in the Travel Guard package plans; this package includes a wide variety of options in addition to the basics covered by other plans. It has the highest limits of any package policy.
- My Travel Guard – This package policy allows customers to build their own package with the options and plan limits that work for their needs and budget.
Travel Guard writes a variety of package policies that are designed for the needs of specific types of travel. These include:
- Golf Vacations
- Ski Trips
- Adventure Travel
In addition to the vacation packages listed, Travel Guard writes several more plan options, some of which are packages and others specific coverage policies.
- Business Travel coverage, which provides specifically for the needs of business travelers
- Flight Guard, which covers against flight-related accidents.
- Annual Medical, a yearly policy that will provide medical coverage for any trips taken during the policy period. A good choice for regular travelers.
- MedEvac, coverage that provides specifically for medical needs and evacuation from another country to be brought home for treatment.
- Rental Car Coverage to provide protection from damage and liability in a rental car.
Travel Guard makes it relatively easy to obtain pricing on their website. There is the option to request a quote, or there are downloadable PDFs that break down the cost per person based on the age of the traveler and the cost of the trip being insured.
For this review, we compared a few plans based on California rates for a traveler between the ages of 35-59 and a trip that costs between $1001-$1500.
Travel Guard’s Savvy Traveler plan, promoted as the most affordable, lists a rate of $37.20 for a trip up to 30 days, with an additional cost of $5.00 per day over 30 days.
By comparison, the Gold plan, which Travel Guard says is their most popular, had a rate of $74 for that same trip. The Gold plan also had many more available add-ons that could quickly increase the cost of the policy. The form recommends contacting the company directly for information on trips over 30 days.
Since Travel Guard offers the option of creating your own package policy, it’s possible that better rates could be obtained by picking and choosing coverage and levels.
Travel Guard offers 24/7 emergency assistance to customers via their toll-free number, although the claims department has more limited business hours and is open weekdays only. Their website offers detailed information regarding how to file a claim and what documentation is needed for the claim to be processed.
Travel insurance claims can vary greatly depending on the type of claim – whether for trip cancellation, medical coverage, or other losses, which can impact the speed of claims processing. The company has a toll-free automated call center that customers can use to check on the status of a clam at any time.
Travel Guard is rated A+ by the BBB and has been accredited since 2012. There have been 203 complaints against the company in the past three years, with 56 of them having been closed in the past 12 months.
Most of the reviews available online for Travel Guard show a positive response for those who did not have to file a claim with the company, citing ease of purchasing the plan, good customer service, and good value. Complaints against Travel Guard are overwhelmingly regarding claims that were denied; a number of these can be found, however many of these seem to involve confusion regarding what was actually covered by the policy.
Travel Guard offers a very comprehensive selection of travel insurance policies that allows travelers to select a package or create their own package based on their budget and needs. This may be confusing to some people, but there are convenient tools for helping customers select the right options.
Rates are reasonable, with basic packages coming in under $40 for a 30-day trip for ages 35-59, although the rates do increase with age. The website is easy to navigate and buying insurance appears to be a simple process. Overall, travelers looking for peace of mind are likely to find Travel Guard a good value and easy choice.
For a list of companies that we recommend, visit our Best Insurance Companies page.